|Name||M.J. Arul *** |
|Address||B-304, Green's Square Flats|
Off Ananthapura Main Road
Home Phone: + 91-80-4951-3276
Cellphone: + 91-98455-88239 / +91-80505-78122
|Date of birth||May 10, 1946|
|Total work experience||45 years (Cf. Job History, below.)|
|Educational qualification||- Advanced FIRO Training from Dr. Will Schutz (1998 batch, California).|
- Ph.D.: FIRO needs of managers and management students; S.P.U. Gujarat.
- M.A. in Psychology; MS University of Baroda-1972.
|Positions held, in reverse chronological order||- Director, Presidency B-school, Bangalore. (Retired in April 2017)|
- Professor of OB & HR, SDM-IMD, Mysore.
- Dean, Presidency College, Bangalore.
- Professor of OB & HR, S.P.Jain Inst of Mgmt & Research, Bombay.
- Professor, Institute of Rural Management - Anand (IRMA).
- Visiting Faculty, IIM-Ahmedabad.
- Course Associate, IIM-Ahmedabad.
|Current position|| Freelance Consultant & Trainer |
|Experience: Job content ...|
1. Teaching in the regular PGP and MDP programmes:
Individual & Group Behavior | Mgmt of Change | Creativity in Management | OT
|2. In-company training |
- I've, in the past, offered training programmes to: corporate-company executives, managers of cooperatives, NGO managers, trainers & field workers, and government forest-department officials.
- More recently, I conducted, jointly with Mr. Gary Copeland, two human-element workshops at Bangkok for the UN Officers in Thailand (March 2006).
- Designed and offered two training programmes in January-February 2007: one was a three-day MDP and the other was a six-day ToT. Both were done in and for BRAC, a large international NGO, headquartered at Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Chairman, Student Conduct Committee at SDM-IMD, Mysore (2005)
- Co-ordinator, SPJIMR's Collaborative PhD Programme with BITS, Pilani (2002-2003)
- Co-ordinator, IRMA Admissions (1988-1991 & May-Oct 1998)
- Chairman, Faculty Induction & Dev. Committee (Mar. 1996-Jan. 1997)
- Co-ordinator, The One-Year Postgraduate Programme (OYP1996-97)
- Member, PRM Curriculum Review Committee (1997)
- Chairman, OYP Review Committee (1994-95)
- Member, Admissions Committee (1992-1998)
- Member, Staff Affairs Committee (1996-97)
|4. Consulting assignments|
- An organizational study of the U.P. Apple and Fruit Growers' Co-operative Marketing Federation (December 1987).
- Public Distribution System in the Rural Areas of Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh (may 1988).
- Rural Development -- the ASSEFA way: A case study of Natham Block (October 1989).
- Process Documentation of Joint Forest Management for an NGO (November 1996).
- Self-Help Groups in the Kerala Horticulture Development Programme (May 1998).
|Professional membership||- Indian Academy of Applied Psychology|
- The Indian Society of Extension Education
- The National HRD Network (India)
|Papers written||1. Measurement of attitudes (1977). Working paper #158, IIM-Ahmedabad.|
|2. Removal of untouchability: some social psychological aspects (1980). (Presented at the Seminar on Removal of Untouchability, Gujarat University.)|
|3. A study of IRMA admissions (1983).|
|4. HRD: Not Everyone's Cup of Tea (1989a). (Presented at the Seminar on Emerging Trends in HRD for Poverty Alleviation, NIRD, Hyderabad.)|
|5. Operation Flood and management development (1989b). Managemnt in Government , XXI (1-3), pp 91-97. |
|6. The elan vital of rural development (1992). Working paper #38, IRMA.|
|7. Managerial qualities of some Indian co-operative dairy managers. (Paper presented at the International Symposium on Rural Co-operatives, held at Anand, December 7-11, 1992.)|
|8. Managerial qualities in the Indian co-operative dairy sector (1993). Indian Dairyman, XLV (9), pp 391-399.|
|9. A comparative analysis of managerial attributes in five different agencies of rural development (1994). Working paper #51, IRMA.|
|10. Participatory Management of Forests (1998). Working paper #119, IRMA.|
|11. My First Experience with Process Documentation (1998). Presented at the State-level Working Committee on JFM, Gujarat.|
|12. Elan in Rural Development (1999). New Renaissance: A Journal of Social and Spiritual Awakening, VIII (4), pp 22-23 & 40.|
|13. Firo Needs of Managers and Management Students in an Indian Cooperative Sector (2001): Accepted for presentation at the Firo International Conference, San Francisco. |
|PERIOD||ORGANIZATION||POSITION||NATURE OF JOB|
|Aug 2012 - Mar 2017||Presidency Business School, Presidency College, Bangalore.||Director||
- Academic administration
(Retired on 1 April 2017)
|Feb 2006 - Feb 2011||Presidency Business School, Presidency College, Bangalore.||Director||
- Academic administration
- Teaching OB
|June 2005 - Jan 2006||SDM Institute for Management Development, Mysore.||Professor of OB & HR||Teaching in PGP & MDP
|Dec 2003 - June 2005|| Presidency College, Bangalore.||Dean ||
- Academic administration
- Teaching OB
|April 2001 - Dec 2003||S.P. Jain Inst of Mgmt & Research, Mumbai.||Professor of OB & HR||Teaching in PGP & MDP
|Nov 1998 - April 2000||Centre for Management Studies, DDIT, Nadiad.|
|Professor & Head |
|Teaching & administration |
|Sep 1994 - Oct 1998||Institute of Rural Management, Anand.|
|Teaching, training & consulting |
|Nov 1989 - Aug 1994||Institute of Rural Management, Anand.||Associate Professor||---- do ----|
|1988 - 1991|| - do -||Admissions Co-ordinator||The whole function of admissions to the PG course|
|Jan - 1986 - Oct 1989|| - do -||Assistant Professor||Teaching & consulting|
|July 1980 - Dec 1985|| - do -||Faculty Associate||Teaching|
|July 1979 - Apr 1981||Bhavan's Institute of Communication and Management, Ahmedabad.||Visiting Faculty||Teaching: Personnel Management|
|Jan 1978 - June 1980||IIM-Ahmedabad||Course Associate||Preparation of teaching material, setting questions, evaluation of exam papers & assignments on Organizational Behavior.|
| - do -|| - do -|| - do -||Facilitator in workshops on Creative Problem Solving|
| - do -||National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad.||Visiting Faculty||Teaching: Psychology (as a foundation course)|
|Feb 1975 - Dec 1977||IIM-Ahmedabad||Course Assistant||Assisting the Faculty in the conduct of OB courses|
|Oct 1973 - Feb 1975|| - do -||Research Assistant||Assisted in a project: Gujarat Government Agriculture Development Programme|
|May 1973 - Oct 1973||Space Application Centre (ISRO)||Research Assistant||Assistance in selection of villages and preparation of audience profiles for the Satellite Instructional Television Experiment (SITE).|
|Aug 1972 - Apr 1973||Avery India Limited||Sales Representative||Procuring orders for new goods and service contracts.|